Tuesday, October 17, 2006

No time for good talk

Pehaps I should have gone to Hampshire. I learn best when at my leisure, which doesn't exist in graduate school. I think Mark Twain and Virginia Woolf said it best (who said which? I leave it to you to distinguish):

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Never let your schooling interfere with your education.

Amen. Eating well = having leisure time (my own paraphrase). Woolf was talking here (in A Room of One's Own) about after-dinner conversation -- i.e., intellectual discussion. The previous sentence is another wonderful gem:
The human frame being what it is, heart, body and brain all mixed together, and not contained in separate compartments as they will be no doubt in another million years, a good dinner is of great importance to good talk.

Maybe Oxford is where I should have gone. Do they have a "library school"?...

By the by, I found the quote online, not using Google Book Search (as might have been more appropriate considering our reading this week) but nevertheless from a digitized version of Woolf's famous essay, linked above as well as here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home